Please note: different rules apply to paving over your front garden.

Elsewhere around your house there are no restrictions on the area of land which you can cover with hard surfaces at, or near, ground level.

However, significant works of embanking or terracing to support a hard surface might need a planning application.

If you live in a listed building, you will need listed building consent for any significant works whether internal or external.

Please note: The permitted development allowances described here apply to houses and not to:

Also note that these rules only cover your Patio/Driveway. Any other work such as fences, walls and gates or a dropped kerb may require planning permission.

Dropping kerbs

If you are making a new access into the garden across the footpath you will need to obtain permission from the local council to drop the kerbs and the pavement may need strengthening. This is to protect any services buried in the ground such as water pipes.

Close Menu
Get Quote